So far the O365 switch has been pretty painless.
I mean, sure, there’s the usual sales and marketing confusion because a button is a different color, but that was expected.
The biggest issue so far is in “Teams”. In the business version of “Google Workspace”, when you create a meeting it automatically gives you a dial-in number for that meeting – in case someone wants to attend the video call via fax or something.
In Microsoft’s world, everything is an add-on with different licensing options… So to get dial-in capability you need to buy licensing for ‘meeting coordinators’ to create Teams meetings with dial-in numbers.
It’s not expensive; $48 per year per user – but that’s still enough to make my CFO cross… After all, it was ‘free’* with Google.
(*it’s not free – it’s in exchange for Google being allowed to tag and track you like cattle)
Anyway, Microsoft gave me a single dial-in license for a year, for actual free, to test it out – and it seems to work just fine in I.T. testing… So we gave it to one of the sales guys to test out.
No word back yet, but that’s usually a good sign.
Otherwise I’m just spending a lot of time right now figuring out all of the O365 services. The I.T. department has moved to Teams entirely for communications and we’ve started putting documents and whatnot from the internal fileserver into OneDrive.
I still have concerns about the security of OneDrive, but government agencies use it so it must at least get some review (I hope). For now I’m not putting anything sensitive in it until I get a chance to try and break it.
Other departments are slowly moving into SharePoint and Teams as well, and there haven’t been very many questions they couldn’t answer with online docs – so that’s good.